Man Charged With Rape of Woman on Brighton Seafront

Brighton seafront aerial view with charged headline graphic

Sussex Police confirmed the charge on 16 May. Bilal Alkadour is due to appear before Lewes Crown Court on 15 June 2026.

Sussex Police have charged a man in connection with a rape reported on Brighton seafront on 3 May 2026.

A 21-year-old woman reported being raped on the beach opposite the Grand Hotel in the early hours of 3 May. She came forward to police on 4 May and has since been supported by specialist officers.

On 14 May, Bilal Alkadour, 35, a Syrian national of Cromwell Road, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire, was arrested on suspicion of rape and held in police custody. He was subsequently charged with sexual assault, assault by penetration and rape of a woman aged 16 years or over.

Alkadour appeared at Brighton Magistrates Court on Saturday 16 May and was remanded in custody. He is due to appear before Lewes Crown Court on Monday 15 June 2026.

Statement from Sussex Police

Chief Superintendent Adam Hays of Sussex Police said specialist detectives had been working to identify a suspect and gather evidence since the report was received.

"I can confirm we are not currently looking for anybody else in connection with this investigation," he said.

"The victim is being supported by our officers, and this will continue as we look ahead to court proceedings. I would like to thank her for the courage she has shown in reporting this matter and assisting with our enquiries."

Chief Superintendent Hays added that the incident would be of concern to the public and confirmed that round the clock patrols on the seafront would continue while officers work with partners to protect the public and safeguard vulnerable people.

What Happens Next

Alkadour remains in custody ahead of his appearance at Lewes Crown Court on 15 June 2026. Sussex Police have confirmed they are not looking for anyone else in connection with this investigation.

Bilal Alkadour has been charged but has not yet entered a plea. He is innocent until proven guilty. ImJustBrighton will continue to follow this case as it progresses through the courts.

If you have been affected by sexual violence, you can contact the National Rape Crisis Helpline on 0808 802 9999. The line is free and open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Previous
Previous

Brighton Travel Guide 2026: Everything You Need To Know Before You Visit

Next
Next

Brighton Beach Guide 2026: Everything You Need To Know